Sunday, April 13, 2008

Hula Performance

So, I decided to let my secret out! For the past eight weeks or so I have been learning about the Polynesian culture as a way to honor Mom. Her love for the people and culture became so evident to me when Michael and I lived in Houston, with Mom and Dad, in 2003 prior to moving to Arizona. There was an older woman in the ward who's grand-daughter was professionally dancing with a group locally and she came over to the house and graciously performed for mother. You should have seen mother's eyes. She just sat there in amazement with her arms folded in front of her with one hand on her mouth fighting to keep the tears back (all while in her flambouant "nice" house robe.) She told them of her story of when she was a teenager and pure joy is all you heard out of her mouth when she spoke. All I can remember, as I sat there watching the dancer and listening to Mom, was I want to do that someday! Well, since I have moved here I kind of fell into a Polynesian Dancing Group that was just formed six months ago for excercise. The all lds group has turned into something more than what they were expecting when they first started out. They started performing a few months back and I had the oppurtunity of being able to join in with the performances last night. I was part of a paid luah party for a local Retirement Community and danced two Hawaiian songs. I can't begin to tell you how nervous I was for this performance. My lips quivered, like they were flapping in the wind, the whole time I was on the dance floor. This was something completely out of my element but I had the most wonderful spiritual thrill dancing last night. After it was over, I was fighting back the tears of how grateful I was to have an oppurtunity to be apart of this wonderful group of girls! So, thanks to my wonderful mother I think I have found a new passion of a different type of dancing!

P.S. I am the BIG "YELLOW" bird in the video! Hopefully soon I won't be a Big Bird but a Small Bird! :-)

2 comments:

Camey Tucker said...

You look good in yellow! I don't think I have seen you wear yellow much. What a fun and wonderful experience you just had. I hope you get to keep it up. You even have the pretty hand thing down. Maybe you can teach me a little something sometime or "perform" for us at the next reunion? Better yet... you could teach all the girls a simple dance at the next reunion. They would love that! Thanks for the video post. You did wonderful despite your nervous tension at the time.

Jen B said...

I WUV IT! This is the perfect outlet for a gracious and flowing dancer like you! You'll have to teach the girls some moves before we go to Hawaii this summer! Keep it up! JB