Friday, April 25, 2008

What was your first job?

I was driving home from the office this week and saw a new construction sign announcing the coming of a new "HOBBY LOBBY" to the area! I immediately thought to call Tessa and announce to her the fabulous news! Unfortunately, when I called she couldn't hear me and kept telling me to speak-up... I think she must be screening her calls (try calling the Hartwig House # ~ you'll know what I'm talking about!) But a short little trip down memory lane took me to one of Tessa's first jobs at the Hobby Lobby she worked at when living in Flower Mound and still in high school! This must have been a fun time for Tessa having a bit of freedom and opportunity to make extra $$$.

My first job was as a back office hand for Luster Chiropractic, in Mesa. Dr Luster was in the bishopric with my dad at the time - but that's not how I got the job... Mom had been hauling all of her 4 kids down to the office 1-2 times a month for routine adjustments (I have no idea why) and everytime we went the office ladies would be short handed and the phone would start to ring off the hook. Well, at some point the phone rang so long that I finally got up and answered it myself, took a message, or put them on hold - can't recall exactly.. but a week later the Dr's wife called and asked if I'd like to come fill out a job application!

Daenon doesn't remember what his first job was... it was too long ago. Ahhhhh. His memory is better when he's afraid I'm make something up! After the lawn mowing business when he was 12... he worked at the car wash in LA... He still frequently recalls all the very fancy and expensive automobiles that he was priviledged enough to drive while working there! I'll let him fill in the details later!

2 comments:

Camey Tucker said...

My first job other than babysitting was at Ms. Nancy's in Edmond. I was 18 years old. Dad was strongly encouraging me to get a job! I had no desire to do so... I was perfectly content at home. Brady drove me to a few places in town so I could fill out applications. I started working the same day I applied! It kick started my teaching career. I worked to change dirty diapers, play and educate... wait my career now as a stay at home mom is the same! Why did I ever need a degree???

Jen B said...

So you'd have the wisdom of your thirtys to give you the sanity to survive... or is that insanity? hmmm. Preparation is a good thing!